Best Hunting Laser Rangefinder Under $300 – Top Picks for 2020
Technology advances at a very rapid pace. The type of machines used almost a decade back have become obsolete in this modern era. It is also true that gadgets and devices have made their presence felt even in the field of sorts and games. If you compare a golfer’s kit a decade ago and a golfer’s kit in this modern era, you may find everything similar except one single object, which is the rangefinder. These are small gadgets which are used to measure the distance to a target. Rangefinders are extremely useful to tell you the approximate distance to your hunt so that you can shoot with your rifle with proper aim and accuracy.
What Are Laser Rangefinders And What Are The Benefits Of Using One?
There are basically 3 types of rangefinders used for hunting. The costliest and also the best in terms of accuracy is the laser rangefinder. It basically throws a laser at the target. Once the laser returns to the rangefinder, after hitting the target, it helps the gadget to measure the distance to the target. Different laser rangefinders come with different distance measuring capabilities. There are several benefits of using a laser rangefinder while hunting. Some of these have been discussed below for your knowledge.
- Magnification: If your target is at a great distance from your location, then it is very important for you to use a rangefinder that can easily magnify the target several times. This is easily possible with a laser rangefinder. Some of the best can magnify by even 8 to 10 times.
- Beam Divergence: The laser beam of a laser rangefinder can easily spread across great distances due to beam divergence. This is also the primary indicator of how efficiently your rangefinder can perform to catch targets at a great distance. The more focused the beam is, the better will be the readings of the gadget.
- Multiple Readings: The older models of rangefinders could display the actual distance at the very first reading. However, the accuracy of this reading was largely dependent on the external conditions. Thankfully, the modern day laser rangefinders come with multi-pulse technology which can easily gather sample multiple readings off the actual target and can also ignore any factor that can easily impact the actual reading such as low light, fog, rain, and small-sized target. These samples are analyzed by a software to tell you the actual reading, which is quite accurate.
Top 5 Hunting Rangefinders Under $300
|① Vortex Optics Ranger 1000 Rangefinder - Top Pick|
|② Bushnell G-Force DX ARC 6x Laser Rangefinder|
|③ Nikon Prostaff 7i Laser Rangefinder|
|④ Leupold RX-1200i Rangefinder|
|⑤ Upland Optics Perception 1000 Laser Rangefinder|
Choosing the best rangefinder that can be used for hunting purposes can be an uphill task. Here are 5 of the best in the market under $300 that you can use for hunting purposes.
Vortex Optics Ranger 1000 Hunting Rangefinder
As the name suggests, this rangefinder has the capacity to measure a maximum distance of 1000 yards. Although it has a great accuracy for targets within a distance of 500 yards, the accuracy level drops to 3 yards beyond this distance range. You can alter the focus by twisting the eyecup of the gadget.
It comes with a 22mm objective lens with a maximum magnification of 6 times. It has 2 basic modes, the HCD or Horizontal Component Distance mode and LOS or Line of Sight mode. If you wish to use this gadget for bow or rifle hunting then the HCD mode with be the best option for you. Otherwise, the LOS will be a good option for a raw line of sight distance measurement. This rangefinder works like a charm in both bright light and low light conditions.
- It has an adjustable red LED to help you measure distances in varying light conditions.
- It is one of those rare rangefinders which comes with both line of sight and angle compensated modes.
- The body of the gadget is quite rugged and both fog proof and waterproof.
- It is powered by CR2 batteries which is relatively difficult to find.
- The distance measure button is quite noisy.
- The accuracy level is not at all commendable at 3 yards.
Bushnell G-Force DX ARC 6x Laser Rangefinder
This rangefinder by Bushnell is rather compact and durable making it very easy for you to carry it with you wherever you go. The rubber armor design helps you to get a firm grip of this lightweight gadget. It can measure up to a maximum distance of 1300 yards with a magnification of 6 times. This rangefinder comes with a wide array of modes which makes it suitable for use by both rifle and bow hunters. There is also a built-in inclinometer that helps you to get proper distances even on uphill or downhill angles.
- It is extremely user-friendly.
- Comes with several updated technologies such as VDT or Vivid Display Technology and Angle Range Compensation.
- It also has a Bullseye mode that can help you measure distances to a small-sized target without measuring any background object.
- The display is only in red.
- It is very easy for you to hit the Mode button by accident, which is located on the side of the rangefinder.
Nikon Prostaff 7i Laser Hunting Rangefinder
This laser rangefinder by Nikon is a great pal to have around during your hunting expeditions. It can measure distances up to a maximum of 1300 yards with ease and the accuracy of this gadget is also highly commendable. It is at half a yard if the target is within a range of 600 yards and beyond it the accuracy is a yard. It can easily provide a magnification of 6 times and comes with a 21mm objective lens. It comes with a Target Priority Switch system that can be used to measure overlapping subjects. The First Target Priority mode helps you to measure the distance of the target that is closest to you.
- This rangefinder offers incline and decline technology to help you get the true horizontal distance to any target.
- The image clarity is really of great quality.
- Irrespective of the distance, the measurement of the rangefinder is rather stable and quick.
- Just the optics of the rangefinder is multicoated.
- Reading the LCD display in a low-light condition may be quite difficult.
Leupold RX-1200i Hunting Rangefinder
This is one of the best laser rangefinders used by hunters. It can measure distances from a minimum of 6 yards to a maximum of 1200 yards. This gadget comes with a 22mm objective lens that can provide a maximum magnification of 6 times. It can measure in both yards and meters and the body is both fog and waterproof. This laser rangefinder can be used for both target and rifle shooting. The Leupold RX-1200i can easily be termed as the most expensive in the RX line. However, it is also the highest purchased rangefinder than other Leupold products.
- Highly advanced technologies are used in the making of this gadget.
- The maximum distance is 1200 which is a great factor for hunters.
- Compared to the features, the price can be said to be affordable.
- This Leupold rangefinder is not easily adaptable to tripods.
Upland Optics Perception 1000 Laser Rangefinder
The best part about this laser rangefinder is that it can easily measure distances up to a maximum of 1000 yards. The body of the gadget is both weather and water resistant making it possible for you to use it even in extreme conditions. It comes with a 17mm objective lens that can magnify up to a maximum of 6x. It has an accuracy of 1 yard and can easily be used even in dense vegetation.
- The rangefinder can measure distances up to 1000 yards.
- The weather and water resistant body helps you to use it at all times no matter the weather conditions outside.
- It can provide magnification of 6 times.
- For a maximum distance of 1000 yards, a magnification of 6 times may not seem enough for some users.
Conclusion & What is the Best Hunting Rangefinder Under $300
You will find various types of hunting rangefinders under 300 on the market. It is also obvious that not every model will come with similar features. If you wish to choose the best as per your needs and budget, then it is very important that you read the various reviews and, if possible, compare some of the best models in the market.
Amongst those discussed above, the Vortex Optics Ranger 1000 Rangefinder (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE) is the best bet for you. Apart from a few negative points, this gadget is a great companion to have with you on a hunting expedition. It can easily measure a maximum distance of 1000 yards and comes with both line of sight and angle compensated modes to help you hunt in any terrain. If you are a first timer, it is always better to start off with a cheaper and more affordable rangefinder. Once you gain sufficient experience in hunting, you may upgrade to a costlier and feature-rich rangefinder to help you hunt like a pro. However, it is also true that if you start off with one of the best rangefinders on the market, you will not settle for anything cheaper in the future.